I don't know why I started blogging. I am a very private, keep to myself person. I don't have friends. I don't hang with the girls. It's not that I don't want to, I just have this internal voice that convinces me that no one likes me. I have always had it. Maybe not always, but as long as I can remember. Do I want friends? Sure. But I don't know the first thing about making friends. I am not the type to call someone up and invite them somewhere, calling them might bother them. They don't like me, remember?
When I was younger, my parents partied. A lot. I was left to fend for myself. I ate what was easy. I was in 3rd grade. I didn't know how to cook. Taco Villa Became my staple dinner. My mom would bring home candy by the case. She stole it from work and it filled me up. And, I could give it to my friends and they would hang out with me. I bought their friendship. Food became a bargaining tool and it gave me the power to attract people. I was chubby. Of course I was. I lived on Whatchamacallits and refried beans. I didn't know better.
Pretty soon, the candy wasn't enough to bribe kids to play with me. They couldn't spend the night at a house where the parents were high all the time. I was rarely allowed to spend the night at their houses. And I learned at an early age that A) it was not safe to speak and B) no one cared what I had to say. So, I quit talking very much. But food.....it was there, it didn't leave me, it didn't care that I didn't talk and it made me feel better. To this day, I struggle with eating a cooked meal. I don't eat fast food, but I can eat the heck out of "finger foods." like popcorn or jelly beans or chips. Or just a spoonful of peanut butter. Whatever tasted good and was easy for an eight year old. I won't go into a lot of detail about what "happened" to me, but suffice it to say, food was the only good thing in my life.
Now, I am struggling to come to terms with food. I still find comfort in it. To the point that I will hide and eat. Or lie about how much I had. Yesterday, I ate almost 5,000 calories. In little things. Every morning I start off with a plan. Every afternoon, I find ways to talk myself out of it.
I think about food ALL the time. It is safe. It will be there. It will be there if I am fat, or thin, or stupid or worthless or any combo of the things I feel all the time. By giving this up, I am betraying the only friend I have.
I am going to copy this into an email for Olaf to read. My blog is too scary to share with him. :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Just some thoughts.
Posted by Stacey at 8:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Thank you for trusting us enough to share your life. I have the same sort of relationship with food and I have long been a secret eater. The secret keeps the shame there. I have gotten a great deal of peace and freedom from therapy, but it's still such a struggle. I hope it helps to know you are not in this alone.
Well, I don't know how to break this to you but you've got 65 friends listed on the righthand side of your blog. We all like you, we all want to be friends with you and guess what? You didn't pay any of us. I think it's good that you're exploring your relationship with food and why it is the way it is. I, too, don't have many friends and it's not a matter of not wanting them. I hope you can work past these things and move away from using food as comfort. ((HUGS))
I love being your friend! :-) I get the crazy relationship to food though. Mine is different but just as messed up. Glad we are all here to help each other talk it through! Hugs!
It is very easy to talk yourself into that people don't like you and never as easy to see the truth. You will never know now whether those children would have played with you anyway and the sweets were just a bonus or if that was their only reason. You cannot turn back time.
But we are here. We choose to be your friends. We care about what you have to say and want to share our life experiences with you. You can hang out with us girls anytime and we will not judge you for how you have done. Please keep sharing.
On another note, stupid snooty wedding dress shop sounds like they need to be bashed over the head with a bat of recession! Numpties.
I know it took a lot for yu to write this out. That is a major step. I think you are awesome. And you do have friends. Your friends in the blogospher will ALWAYS be her to support you. Don't be afraid. Food is not our friend. It is just a little something we need to keep going. You can conquer your relationship with food. One day at a time.
I totally think you should share this with your husband. It will be a good tool for him to understand you even better.
Post a Comment