NOT me. I am at 151.2. Yeah, I am up almost 6 pounds. Not a good way to start the holiday season. But, I am aware of it and I am going to be proactive. No more stupid snacking. No jelly beans, no chips, no candy, no cookies, NO jelly beans. Yes, for some reason, jelly beans have been the bane of my existence here lately. I mentioned the other day, I ate 2 lbs of those little suckers in less than a week. I won't be buying them again. Bad thing is, everyone and their dog sells them. Went to Burlington Coat Factory and yep, right next to the Chicken Enchilada Soup (which is a weird place to buy it, but it's yummy) was jelly beans. Lots of them. Sigh. I stocked up on popcorn. That is a relatively safe snack. Made the right way, it's pretty guilt free. At least until I can work myself out of snack mode, I can be smarter about it.
Olaf and I actually went and opened a joint checking account. This is weird for me. We have been married 11 yrs. I guess it's time to commit. Did I mention it took me 4 years to change my last name? Yeah, I have trust issues when it comes to men. Or people in general I guess. I am not one to open up easily. I keep it to myself. I am the care giver, not the care needer. It's not that I think he's gonna run off with my pennies. One of his paychecks is two months pay for me. He doesn't need it. But, I don't know, it felt good to be able to be in control of my own money and not feel like I have to ask for anything. But....I decided I needed a little more accountability. I need to know someone is looking at my spending. They need to see that I can buy over $100 at goodwill on shirts I don't need. Or spend $20 on jelly beans. Yeah, I did that. So, now I have to behave. It will be good for me. I will have to rethink every purchase. And it's not that he is tight fisted with money, if I need it, I get it. I don't want to make him sound like an ogre. He's anything but. I tend to make him this monster in my head when it comes to money and I don't know why. My mom always lied to my dad about money, and now she lies to us about it. Maybe that's where I got this need to hide my spending, when I really don't have to.
Ok, it's time for me to get to work. Bleh.
Did I mention I love jelly beans?
Olaf and I actually went and opened a joint checking account. This is weird for me. We have been married 11 yrs. I guess it's time to commit. Did I mention it took me 4 years to change my last name? Yeah, I have trust issues when it comes to men. Or people in general I guess. I am not one to open up easily. I keep it to myself. I am the care giver, not the care needer. It's not that I think he's gonna run off with my pennies. One of his paychecks is two months pay for me. He doesn't need it. But, I don't know, it felt good to be able to be in control of my own money and not feel like I have to ask for anything. But....I decided I needed a little more accountability. I need to know someone is looking at my spending. They need to see that I can buy over $100 at goodwill on shirts I don't need. Or spend $20 on jelly beans. Yeah, I did that. So, now I have to behave. It will be good for me. I will have to rethink every purchase. And it's not that he is tight fisted with money, if I need it, I get it. I don't want to make him sound like an ogre. He's anything but. I tend to make him this monster in my head when it comes to money and I don't know why. My mom always lied to my dad about money, and now she lies to us about it. Maybe that's where I got this need to hide my spending, when I really don't have to.
Ok, it's time for me to get to work. Bleh.
Did I mention I love jelly beans?




5 comments:
Thank goodness I'm not a jellybean fan but these cookies falling around on your blog make me want chocolate chip cookies in the worst way.
Joint Account - I thin it's important that everyone in the household has a good idea of what household expenses are. My hubby and I have a joint account and then our individual accounts. This way...no matter what the bills get paid. But he doesn't need to see everything I spend extra money on (there isn't much) and I don't need to see that from him either. It's funny because it's been my experience that people think I'm weird when I tell them I have my own checking account that Hubby doesn't have access to like I'm trying to hide something... oh well. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't think my husband and I had a joint account until the last few years either (married 11 yrs). My husband opened one mostly as a way to move money between our two accounts if necessary. Maybe we got it when I went from full-time to part-time status after having children. ? Yeah, that's probably it, I can't remember! Most couples think it's bizarre we have separate accounts but I think it's a little weird to share one. My parents always passed the checkbook back and forth and if someone forgot one little purchase, it threw the balance off, and caused ridiculous fights, each blaming the other for forgetting to write something down until one of them was proven right. Silliness!!
Isn't it crazy how something that wouldn't be a temptation to one person can be another person's worst nightmare! I don't like Jelly Beans, but I can scarf chocolate in every form.
Good luck staying away from those beans! :)
You crack me up! I have never been a jelly bean person, but I understand the addiction!
I have just in the past couple years realized that there are so many married couples that keep their money separate. I just assumed it was part of marriage, a joint account. but I think more people actualy have separate accounts! Good for you, taking that step in your relationship, as well as your accountability!
Maybe THAT'S why I'm such a closet spender... my mom lies to my dad about her shopping "habits" all the time! It's crazy.
Sorry I'm SO late commenting on this (umm, over a week!).
Love you, girly! And the boys and I LOVED our cards. They stuck their stickers everywhere. :)
Post a Comment