When I first started my journey, one of the things we discussed in classes was your "tell." This is supposed to tell you when you need to stop eating. They told us that everyone has at least one and we need to learn what it is. At first, I didn't have one that I could discern. Here lately though, I have noticed when it's time to stop, my nose will run. That is my "soft tell." If I keep going, I get the hiccups. And they are painful ones. The kind that seem to collapse your throat and then make you cough. These are my "hard tell." If I don't stop then, it just all comes back up.( I guess that would be the "I told you so, tell")
This can be a problem if you eat fast. You can out-eat your tells. By the time your brain recognizes the first tell, you can be well on your way to the second. And when you eat mindlessly, you may not ever actually recognize the tell.
Mindless eating is my biggest problem. When I sit down to a meal, I eat like a rockstar. But when I am not thinking about it, I can really do some damage. Especially when I am driving. I am stuck in traffic about 1.5 hours a day (round trip) and if I have any kind of finger food in the car, it won't make it to my house. And outside of that "zone" I am aware of the temptation and lack of will power I have. But once I start, I keep going. And when I finish, I have these feelings of guilt. I know better and should stop even buying whatever it is (cookies,popcorn or crackers usually).
So, what is your tell? How do you deal with the mindless snacking?
This can be a problem if you eat fast. You can out-eat your tells. By the time your brain recognizes the first tell, you can be well on your way to the second. And when you eat mindlessly, you may not ever actually recognize the tell.
Mindless eating is my biggest problem. When I sit down to a meal, I eat like a rockstar. But when I am not thinking about it, I can really do some damage. Especially when I am driving. I am stuck in traffic about 1.5 hours a day (round trip) and if I have any kind of finger food in the car, it won't make it to my house. And outside of that "zone" I am aware of the temptation and lack of will power I have. But once I start, I keep going. And when I finish, I have these feelings of guilt. I know better and should stop even buying whatever it is (cookies,popcorn or crackers usually).
So, what is your tell? How do you deal with the mindless snacking?



4 comments:
Honestly, I just don't give myself access to it. It's hard, though!
My tell is the runny nose. That is the "Danger, Danger...you have had enough, so don't be greedy and have another bite" sign. If I get the hiccups, it means I ignored the first sign and am too full. It's so funny how our body respondes lie that!
I too get the leaky nose! I'm presently a lap-bander, awaiting revision to the sleeve. It's nice to read your blog and see what to expect as far as issues with the sleeve goes (so many are so similar). I met a girl who has the band with plication who is visiting NYC from Australia and her tell is sneezing. She was sneezing away and I asked if she had allergies, and that was how we came to bond over our bands. somehow it looks like our tummies are all connected to our noses!
I don't have a tell. As more mindless snacking, if I'm being honest with myself, I just have to cut it out altogether.
Post a Comment